Thursday, November 10, 2016

Lake Seminole



Pictured here is my Great-Grandfather, Fred Faircloth. circa 1918.

My Grandfather was a field laborer, and homesteader, like many were in Southwest Georgia in those days.  He worked his body to the bone to afford a small plot of land in Seminole County, Georgia, close to the site of Lake Seminole before it was flooded and damned into one of the biggest lakes in Georgia
as it is today. He grew vegetables for the family, and raised turkeys and chickens for the meat and eggs. Deer were hunted and eaten as well. Some days he worked as a laborer and some days he went out with a group of men, mostly poor and black, to collect turpentine from the long leaf pines. They would carry huge metal buckets strapped to their backs for collecting the sap. This, of course, was before all the Long Leaf Pines were cut down. I grew up playing on his swamp land in the house that he built by hand. It was here that I was motivated to identify species of snake, mostly in attempt to convince my grandmother to stop killing the non-venomous ones. 
 When I think of the word "farmer", my great-grandfather is who I think of, even though he might not have called himself one at the time.  His old house has since been sold and the first thing the new owners did was cut down the massive old oaks on the property to sell them for timber. 
As they say, there is a "special place in hell". 



My Grandmother, Ruby-Jean Faircloth on our small family farm, Seminole County, circa 1938









No comments:

Post a Comment